Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes we DID!

Yesterday morning, we got up early and I loaded Ivy - still in jammies - into the stroller to walk up to the Barrington Rec Center where I would be casting my vote. I have always dreamed, since before the pregnancy, that I would take my kids to the polls so they would always know first hand the importance of participating in our country's democracy. I vowed I would teach them how people fought, even died, to do what I had the privilege to do that morning.

So we waited in line - at 7am there were about 150 people there - and when I got up to voting booth I held Ivy in one arm and voted with the other. Punching Obama's name was a moment of profound joy and pride, and even a little disbelief, and I will always remind Ivy that she was there with me to witness history. It was a vote for her future, and mine. No on Prop 4 - a vote to ensure the safety of teen girls, which Ivy will become one day - and a big HELL NO on Prop 8 - a vote to ensure that, god willing someday, Ivy can marry whomever she chooses when she becomes an adult. So much at stake for my little one, and all people everywhere.

We celebrated that night with other friends and their babies, toasting to a better future for our children and watching with tears in our eyes the beginning of a new day, a new era unfolding before us. I truly believe on this day that the world looks a little brighter, and I'm proud to have shared every moment of this monumental change with Ivy.


Yes we DID!

No comments: