Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just another day in paradise

(Since we've been so bad at updating this thing, I really have no idea if anyone checks this anymore, but I figured I was due to check in with some thoughts.)

I totally had a mommy moment today. Not like "Oh my god, I'm a mom!" (been there, had plenty of those) ... more like "Oh my god, I'm one of THOSE moms!" And that's not a bad thing! I'll explain in a moment.

Ivy and I had quite an adventurous day. We started out a Noa's house for our last IKAR Parent and Me class...the whole gang was there. Ezra, Tal, Abby, Noa, Evyn...these kids know how to throw down a good time. Ivy wasn't too sure what to make of Moses the pugle (she's used to Poker who she gets along with nicely), but enjoyed lots of room to amble about. At home she's mostly confined to exploring the 10'x10' space that is her room, so she relished in the freedom of an actual living room.

Then, we busted out to Pico Robertson (with a detour to drop of Daddy at his pickle thing - don't ask) to celebrate Lula's 1st birthday. We've now been to a couple 1st birthdays of kids in Ivy's class, and it's strange that she'll be 1 before we know it. But I digress... It was also Lula's sister's birthday so most of the guests were of the 3 year old variety. After some pizza and ice cream cake (for me!), Ivy proceeded to wear most of her lunch and dumped out a perfectly good cup of blueberries. It was awesome - she may be a little schmutzy ragamuffin, but she's MY schmutzy ragamuffin! As we headed out for the next agenda item for the day, I felt my life freeze momentarily and I saw myself as if I were outside myself - dark circles under my eyes, peach yogurt splattered on my jeans, pushing a stroller with a cranky baby, and a juice box in hand (for me!)...holy shit. I was one of those moms! It finally happened...or maybe it happened before but this was my first realization of it.

The last social excursion (mind you it wasn't even 2pm, and we're working on a measly 1/2 hour nap) was to a baby Purim and pool party hosted by Ivy's friend Caleb. This party was about 180 degrees from the last one, with catered food for the parents, music for the kiddies, a photographer (huh?), and all sorts of mommies with whom I realized upon entering the party I would have zero in common. And their babies all had trendy names, like Rocco. I think they were all in the same Mommy and Me group. Hmmm...well talk about fish out of water, I got the sense I was one of maybe a couple working moms there. So yeah, our lives were pretty different. And why weren't these kids messy? Mine looked positively atrocious (despite an adorable new outfit making its debut). Ivy didn't mind too much - she's happy chewing on plastic balls and generally being oblivious to her surroundings.

I decided I prefer sitting on the grass, covered in food and juggling juice boxes and whatnot. I guess I'm that kind of mom. I came home exhausted and my mind boggling with this whole parenthood thing, and Ivy, Mike and I all dove into bed for a family snuggle...if you thought a nap was going to come out of that, you'd be wrong.

***

It's okay, it's so nice
Just another day in paradise
Well there's no place I'd rather be
Two hearts, one dream
Wouldn't trade it in for anything
And I ask the lord every night
For just another day in paradise

No comments: