Even though it’s officially been summer for a while now, it’s only just kicking into high gear today. Ivy is off school until September 12...that means 42 whole days of vacation! I’ll be interested to see how she does, because she loves structure and her friends and teachers. But I know she’ll also appreciate the downtime and relaxed schedule, not having to run out the door in the mornings and then be cranky at dinner time when she normally gets home. Mike and I created the Master Calendar for the next 6 weeks, figuring out various childcare plans (since we both have to work) and other activities. I’m grateful that I can be flexible this month but I still have tons to do, so it will be an interesting balance.
We have a bunch of great activities planned, starting with today - going to see Ivy’s first movie, Winnie the Pooh! We’ll also be hitting up the beach, crashing as many pools as we can, and she’ll be spending a week with Mike’s mom here and a week with my parents in San Diego where she’ll also go to a dance camp. And we’ll hopefully hit up the LA County Fair...what fried item should I get this year? I gotta start thinking about that. Of course, there will be lots of down time, too, hanging out at home and in the backyard just playing.
Not to be outdone, Sid is also awesome these days, of course. He can stand unassisted and is moments away from his first steps. He sees something he wants to go after and propels himself forward, only he hasn’t figured out how to lift his feet to do it! It’s so cool to watch. Ivy, who started walking MUCH later than this, just sort of stood up and started walking one day. I like watching Sid try to figure this out in baby steps, as they say.
It’s also hard to believe that in less than 2 short months, he will be turning ONE. What?! Yeah, I know. I’m already starting to plan his birthday party...oh, who am I kidding? I started planning months ago. I feel like there are 2 camps when it comes to first (or any age) birthdays - those who avoid the parties because they kid won’t know the difference (though I beg to differ) and those who throw bashes in celebration of the kid and the parents...because let’s be honest, WE are the ones who kept him alive for the past year! And if you’re Sid that’s not always a small task. He can be in a room full of toys and he’ll speed across the room to find the one teeny-tiny bead that fell off Ivy’s necklace and attempt to put it straight down the hatch. Just yesterday he was splashing his hands in the kiddie pool set up in the backyard and he ended up diving in head first. Fortunately we scooped him right out, and he was less than fazed.
Here’s to summer and not going totally bonkers without school! It’ll be the ultimate test of sanity...for all of us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment