Monday, February 11, 2008

Dad's Club

Last week, the synagogue that we belong to sponsored a "New Dad's Night," in which all the guys whose wives are pregnant or who just had babies met up to discuss dad-related issues. Of the 8 or so guys who were there, most of them had already had the kid or were working on a second or third kid, so the whole pregnancy/birthing/fatherhood thing was old hat to them. Not so much for me. I felt very overwhelmed by the lingo these guys were throwing out, especially "doolah," a term I had never heard before. Is that the right spelling? "Dullah" maybe? It's the midwife-y birth coach person who helps out while your wife is in labor. The group spent about 15 minutes discussing the pros and cons of having one, while the whole time I was like, "Uh guys? Little help here? What exactly are we talking about?" They also used a complex number system for contractions, like 5-1-1, 4-1-1, etc. 911 was not mentioned, though it should have been.

The good news is, I now know a bunch of guys who will have babies roughly the same age as Superbaby so we can all hang out, change diapers, discuss sporting events, lick wing sauce off the kids' heads a la that commercial for some terrible new show on Fox, etc. And even if I'm behind now, I'm confident that I'll catch up with a quickness. By the ninth or tenth kid, I'm sure I'll have it all worked out...

No comments: