Here's my feeling about “surprise” pregnancies (I believe that is the more PC term for “accident”). On the baby/mommy boards where I frequently lurk and occasionally post, women are constantly making announcements along the lines of "OMG! I'm pregnant! I'm SO surprised!...I mean we weren't trying, but we weren't really preventing either. Yay surprises!" EEEHHHH - wrong! Not preventing??? I'm sorry, no surprise there. Perhaps, rather, you're biologically misinformed. (Sex ed in school has gone down the tubes, after all, and boy is it obvious.) Just watch "16 and Pregnant" and you get the idea...whoa, can you say "train wreck?" Although - digression here - on the season 2 "Life After Labor" reunion show, 3 of the 10 girls were supposedly using birth control correctly when they got pregnant. My memory serves me differently from those episodes (they ALL had the staged conversations with their friends that went "OMG, weren't you like using like birth control?" "no..."), and maybe they just thought "pull and pray" was a viable form...wait, what was I talking about?
A true surprise pregnancy is "HOLY SHIT I was on the PILL!" (Shout out to Rachel...sound familiar?!)

Yup, you read that right. I was on birth control pills. Believe me, THIS was a shocker to end all shockers. No matter how many 99 Cent Store pregnancy tests (the only way to go - they're just as accurate and a wee fraction of the cost of brand name ones) I peed on, the result didn't change. How did this happen?!
I'm going to leave you with this question dangling until the next post. Meanwhile, just as my pregnancy with Ivy, we're in good company again and Dos - that's what we're calling it ("Two" in Spanish for the language-impaired) - already has a full class. In fact it seems like every week there's another pregnancy announcement amongst our friends. But that's what happens at IKAR...seriously, don't drink the water here unless you want to get knocked up. (Who am I kidding? That wouldn't be so terrible for our ECC enrollment!) According to my friend Candice and fellow mama-to-be "even the lesbians are fertile!"
And lest we forget sweet little Ivy, who on a daily basis makes us ache from laughter, who is preparing to turn 2:

No comments:
Post a Comment