Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Modified Bed Rest - neither bedridden nor restful. Discuss.

You’re probably thinking, wow Kim’s been sitting on her fat pregnant butt for a week now since coming home from the hospital, so why the hell isn’t she blogging?

Truth be told, my life isn’t horribly different than before, mainly because I am still working…from home, that is. Thank GOD, because I would have gone totally crazy by now if I hadn't been able to work out this telecommuting arrangement. I mean how much bad TV can one watch? And I love that I'm finally making a dent in the stack of books by my bed, but in this heat reading makes me sleepy, especially if I'm on the couch or my bed. I considered trying to take up knitting, per several people's suggestion, but I don't think I have the patience...and I fear that if I started, I would never stop. Ever. Like I would knit while driving, which is probably up there in the danger category with texting. I just know that I can exhibit compulsive, addictive behaviors sometimes, so yeah... I have some photo projects to work on, but can't seem to get motivated (what else is new?) to finish them. Baby steps, I keep telling myself.

And then there's internet shopping.

Good lord, it's a REALLY good thing I'm still working or else I'd be spending even more time than I already browsing around the endless mall of the world wide web. It started out with researching and falling in love with baby stuff that I "need" and want. Now I've moved on. I'm already looking past birth and starting to think about fabulous things for ME once I've dropped the pregnancy weight and gone back to work. And of course all the things I've been ogling are wildly out of my budget (which is approximately $0, given the fact that I will be on unpaid leave and supporting 2 children) or totally impractical. Or both. Like these monsters:
C'mon, I NEED these, right? Right?

Or this:
Not exactly ideal for nursing...

I really need to unsubscribe from Anthropologie's emails, and those of every other retailer that find their way into my inbox on a daily basis...

::snapping back to reality::

So yeah, as I was saying, my weekdays are just as filled as before and afternoons/evenings with Ivy are also the same as before but with me doing noticeably less active parenting (sorry Mike). I just can’t be lifting her in and out of the bathtub or standing on my feet cooking dinner (which I had become quite accustomed to in the last month or so), so Mike has been playing the role of Super Dad. When Ivy gets home from day care she comes straight to our room where we have a snuggle party (she actually runs through the house shouting "SNUGGLE PARTY!") on the bed. Snuggle parties consist of Ivy trying to find a comfortable way to sit in my lap and kiss the baby, and then reading some stories or playing with dolls before inevitably getting down to go bother Mike who's in the kitchen making dinner and demand milky or juicy. I actually love the time we've been spending together because it's relaxing for me, and quality time for her. We've also had some afternoon visitors for play dates which is great for all of us - especially me, because this becomes the only contact I have with the outside world!

Spending so much time in the house makes me constantly aware of things I need to do, aside from above-mentioned enjoyable activities. I am always reminded of what's dirty and needs to be cleaned, and what little household projects are just waiting to be tackled. And then there's the evening and weekend downtime...oy. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy relaxing and all that jazz, but it's not like my days are an empty canvas that I can paint to my heart's desire. It's different when you get to take the day off by choice than when you're forced to lay low. It's not as if I'm spending my time getting mani/pedis or going to the movies or window shopping while eating a cupcake or Pinkberry. It's HARD to stay in bed, especially on the weekends! And I'm not even strictly confined, but there isn't much else to do that doesn't involve heavy labor (including grocery shopping, which I love) or leaving the house (which I have done, but just for low-key activities). Heck, I'd even enjoy doing laundry or cleaning out another closet, but I'm trying to refrain from that kind of stuff too.

The kicker of it all - modified bed rest ends when I deliver. At which point I will be off work with my sweet baby...spending more time at home. Again. Good thing I like where I live.

1 comment:

Penina P. said...

Oh geez! I am feeling super guilty because I went to movies and ate Pinkberry while I was doing it! I think it's funny that you are afraid to start knitting. There's no down side! You have something to do and then you or others get to benefit from it. Anyway, let me know if I can bring you anything because I like having errands to do.