Monday, May 2, 2011

Cancun it was not - spring break recap

The last few weeks have been exhausting. As if the whole ordeal of Passover (nonstop cleaning and cooking for 8 days) isn’t enough, throw in preschool spring break AND a visit from Mike’s parents and you’ve got yourself a whirlwind week! Actually, it was a lot of fun. And having Mike’s mom around was an enormous help while I tended to my job hunting and other work projects...she kept Ivy quite entertained. I swear, a new toy or book or sticker appeared every hour on the hour! Sidney also had a lot of fun hanging out with Grandma. We had a great field trip to Underwood Farms where many strawberries were picked. Mike’s dad joined us for the latter half of the holiday, and we had even more outings - Red Sox game, MOCA, to name a few.

After all was said and done and everyone was back in their respective homes, preschools, and day cares by the end of last week, I damn near fell apart. I was beyond tired - and of course my back and neck were acting up again. Add to that Sidney’s sleep training (going decently well, save a failed attempt at a dream feed) and Ivy waking up with the roosters every morning.

Oh, and there’s emotional exhaustion too...trying to find a job sucks. It really does. And I’ve had some decent leads and prospects, but nothing has bitten yet. Granted it’s only been a month, but I’m getting antsy, despite my mile-long to-do list of other projects. When I’m too beat to accomplish anything, I get down on myself and then feel guilty that at least if I’m not getting anything done I should be spending more time with the kids. It’s a never-ending cycle of second-guessing and regret, follow by bursts of inspiration and motivation, and back again.

And I’m getting worried. Paying for preschool was hard enough when we were both employed... Fortunately, Mike recently got a small raise at work, but that doesn’t exactly cover the gap of my missing income. There has GOT to be something out there for me. We still dream of taking a vacation, or at least a weekend getaway, if we were able to be out of the woods for more than 5 minutes.

What was I saying about being exhausted?

Anyway, life is good otherwise. We are enjoying the impending commencement of summer. Yesterday we went to the beach and enjoyed yummy sunny weather (albeit quite windy which did not bode well for our umbrellas). And in the evening, after the kids were in bed, I went out for a run in the last minutes of daylight which lasted til almost 8pm. Bliss.

We are also on pins and needles waiting for the arrival of Baby Black, who could be making his debut any day now. We’re so excited!

Here are a few photo highlights of what we’ve been up to - an attempt to make up for my recent extended absence from the blogosphere. Oh, and I’m still working on that special project I mentioned last time. I’ll get to it...one of these days!

Ivy and her fellow migrant workers, er...friends

Onion picking fail!

April 23 - 7 months!

Gooooo Sox!

Where are YOUR matching monkey jammies?

Ivy channels her inner artist at MOCA

Santa Monica pier for the last day of break

No comments: