Back to school always reminds me of the Staples commercials where the guy would ride through the store on a shopping cart with the Christmas carol "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" playing in the background. Yes, yes it is. Ivy's 6 week break ended this morning as we both happily shipped her back to preschool. The whole vacation thing was really starting to wear on me, and her. She loves structure and was so excited to be back with her friends and teachers. Cause for celebration, and I did with my friends next door at Bloom for breakfast. The only thing missing was mimosas. Oh well, maybe next year.
Truth is, it was a bittersweet day. I was a little wistful that my big girl is now in the older kids' class at school (where has the time gone? etc) but it will be nice not having to scramble for childcare when I have work to do. Which is where I start to really get bummed out. Despite my numerous consulting gigs and projects that I'm juggling, I'm still technically unemployed. And while I'm certainly as busy as someone working full time, I don't have much to show for it my bank account and that's troubling. I had hoped today would be a fresh start for both Ivy and I - school for her and a job for me. But alas... I've gotta land something soon, or else...well, I'm trying not to think about it.
At least now that I have a specific period of time during the day in which I can focus, I am really working to get my photo stuff up and running. I hope that will be my next post, as early as next week even. It just takes time, and I keep getting distracted by other things. Clearly self-employment is not for me in the long run.
So when I need to get out of the house to be free from home distractions I head to Paper or Plastic, or IKAR satellite office as it has become. I always see people I know there, and today I threw all productivity out the window because of it. First, I find myself sitting next to an Obama dead-ringer...who turns out to be an Obama impersonator. Fascinating. He was really cool, and actually from Chicago too. And then my heart went all a-flutter when my Food Network hero walked in the door - can you say Aarti Party?! Since I have no shame, I went right up to her and said I was a huge fan. Hugging and laughing ensued, and we were old friends by the time she left. Needless to say, I got nothing done from that point on during my first day "back to work." Oh well, that's what tomorrow is for.

I should have worn makeup today, and not a shirt that makes me look pregnant...
Sid, meanwhile is now running all over the house and I don't know how he gets cuter by the day, but he does. The big birthday is coming up, and my head is already swimming with all the baking and decorating projects I'm going to have. I could not be more excited, and also in utter disbelief that we're closing in on a year. Poof - gone in a flash!

1 comment:
So great to me busy with projects,, yes I agree. SO great to have not much to show for it in the bank, yes I agree to that too. Are we leading the same life?...with the exception that I do not run into celebrities (yes I think so!).
Post a Comment