Monday, September 19, 2011

There's always a silver lining - will shoot for food!


I've often pondered the idea of taking my photography to the next level. I love taking pictures, I do a decent job at it, and it would be a great way to earn a some much-needed cash. But I have a few problems with the idea.

1. I know I’m not a pro, and I don’t want to insult those who are. I would never pretend like you’re going to get something professional-quality because frankly this is my hobby...I wish I could dedicate my every day to this and learn more techniques, spend more time editing, buy top of the line equipment, etc. And professionals cost what they do for a reason - they spend a lot of time on the photos, between traveling to shoots, taking the photos, editing them, and printing them, not to mention the cost of their camera equipment, editing software, and other supplies. I would be offering something much less expensive, but again I have no desire to drive the market down (not that a few measly photo shoots by me would do that, but it’s the principle). And even if my work was professional quality, I would essentially be shooting myself in the foot with the low price I would charge.

2. I don’t want to come off as one of those people who’s like “Oooh, I have DSLR so OBVIOUSLY I’m qualified to have my own photo business!” I mean, I never shoot on auto, I know my aperature from my ISO, and I’m pretty good at getting the best white balance for a shot. But still...just because I have a nice camera, a bunch of lenses, and a speedlight doesn’t mean I’m any better than the average mom with the same equipment and hobby. Nothing wrong with just being a momtographer!

3. I’d feel weird charging people I know money. It’s just awkward, mixing business and friendship. But maybe I need to get over that...and if I don’t know you, I’ll accept cash or check! Besides, my time isn’t exactly free - I have a lot of things to do, so unfortunately I can’t really give too much of my spare hours away for nothing, even though I love taking pictures.

All this being said, I thought I had found a happy medium. My dad is also a photographer, and the person from whom I inherited my love for this pastime. You could call him an advanced amateur but really he’s semi-pro. It’s not his primary profession, but he does get a lot of jobs as a photographer. And he doesn’t even always get paid in cash. He’s much more of a fan of the barter system. That’s right. Bartering.

I couldn’t even begin to count the number of free meals my family has eaten in Little Italy or how many pounds of brisket live in my parents’ freezer thanks to my dad’s photos. He’s shot weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, and nearly every family event for the Bussalaccis.

When my friend Kitt asked me to take some photos of her family, I decided this was it. So it is with minimal fanfare that I announce the commencement of my photography “business” - Silver Lining Photos (like my last name, get it?). I am available pretty much only on Sundays (and weekdays, until I start working again full time) and I like most foods...I’m kosher, mostly vegetarian, have a serious sweet tooth, and usually available for Shabbat dinner. Oh, and Mike and I need a date night...have I mentioned how wonderful my kids are to babysit for?

Here’s what you’ll get - some really nice pictures. And it will be affordable...not to take aim at pros (again, for the most part I think their prices are fair, but we are living in a DIY age), but we all know that professional pictures are not in everyone’s budget. I do have prices, but I will also barter...in fact I've already done a family shoot in exchange for a night of babysitting!
Take a look - I can't believe I'm doing this! http://silverliningphotosbykim.blogspot.com

1 comment:

amy said...

This is great Kim! I wish you much success in this new venture :)