Monday, May 5, 2008

Mixed bag of things as we enter the home stretch


May 1 came and went, officially sending us into the home stretch. I woke up that morning thinking, "Oh my gd, the baby is due THIS MONTH." Whoa. We have decided that we would begin to be prepared on this day, even though there are still many loose ends to tie up.

Had our first of the now weekly doctor appointments - my weight gain wasn't quite as astronomical as I feared it would be. Super Baby is measuring quite big - 6lbs, 10oz. Granted it could be off by as much as a half pound in either direction, but at the rate of gaining a half pound every week til delivery, we're looking at an 8lb+ kid. Not that that should be shocking, given our heights, but still... Oy. Please don't be huge - you have to sleep in the Pack N Play until we order a crib, and it will only hold you up to 15lbs!

Meanwhile, last night I had my first real "oh shit, I need a forklift to roll over" moment in bed. I was propped up with the Snoogle while I was reading, and when I was done I tried to slither down into a horizontal position and COULD NOT do it. For starters, I think I pulled something back when I went bowling over a month ago because every time I try this move it hurts...but last night was worse. Mike came in to give me a hand and I could barely roll over either. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

With that in mind, I've decided to reassign my due date, and I'm hoping that Super Baby gets the memo. Here's how it goes baby: don't come before the 21st (my last big event for work) but feel free to appear on the 22nd, 23rd, or 24th. That way you'll be fresh in time for Grandma and Grandpa Silverstein's arrival and they'll have a whole week with you and we won't have to make them sit around the hospital waiting room while on vacation, or go back to MA only to have to turn around and come right back. Wouldn't that be nice? Yeah, I thought so. So thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Check-off list of things to do, in no particular order:
  • Birth class - done!
  • Fried chicken craving - satisfied!
  • Last trip to San Diego - done!
  • Stroller - assembled!
  • Car seat - not installed yet, and the damn CHP is booked all month for inspections! WTF???
  • Shabbaton - this weekend, our last real plans that we don't want to be busted
  • Furniture - dammit, someone PLEASE buy our couch! The new one is here and looks fabulous, but the old one is propped up vertically against the balcony door. We need to get it out ASAP, if nothing else so we can get our carpets cleaned and get some cash to put towards our dream glider.
  • Random projects - still outstanding, too many to count
  • Pack N Play - assembled, more or less. The instructions ran a close second to IKEA's stick figure/no words in any language instructions, but I think we managed. Poker has discovered this new piece of furniture (not the only one in the house, and boy is he pissed at the new arrangement), and you can see below how he enjoys it. Thanks to Tony and Kim for their suggestion of tin foil, which apparently cats hate, to put in it to keep him out. Worked last night...we'll have to see about it's long-term viability before the baby arrives.
And my last gripe of the week is that I am sick of my clothes. I went to a bridal shower last weekend, and everyone was wearing cute sundresses and platform sandals. I was waddling around in flip flops, feeling like a whale...I guess there's no better motivation for losing baby weight than the summer sales I will inevitably get to take advantage of! And PS, when people say "don't spend a lot of money on maternity clothes because you only wear them for a few months" they should also add "and because you will spill everything you eat and look like a dirty slob." My outfit today is a real winner - couple big ol' stains on the pants, and one smaller one on the shirt.

Seriously, I'm over it. Bring it on Super Baby!

4 comments:

kim said...

Tony just turned me on to yalls blog - love it! I obviously don't have any advice to offer on how to handle the home stretch since our little stinker took us by such surprise, but hang in there! (I won't give you the "get as much sleep as you can" advice because having been there recently, I know its a crock of sh!t bc no pregnant woman can sleep fitfully after about 25 weeks). I'll channel y'all "superbaby, arrive on the day mama wants" vibes :-)

(and re: the cat, if yours is anything like ours, itll continue to be fascinated with baby furniture, but have NO interest in being in the furniture WITH the baby- which is some small consolation, right? (If I've learned anything, its that you have to pick your battles!)

Mike said...

Damn. I look really hot with no shirt on. Unh. Break me off a piece of that!

Kim said...

Kim, you are SO right about the sleeping advice...who says that? I haven't slept comfortably in weeks! We are LOVING following Beth's adventures...your blog inspired ours!

Unknown said...

I want to see more pics of Mike with no shirt.